Wednesday, November 5, 2008

California's Ban on Gay marriage

Wow, I am really saddened by this. It is not that I am for gays/lesbians but I am completely and 100% for equality. I don't see how we can end hate crimes when we make every effort to make people be seen differently. Whether you believe those who are gay are going to hell or not shouldn't matter, what should matter is that we treat people the same. It shouldn't matter people's race, religion, gender or sexual preference, we are all people and the fact that prop 8 passed has truly saddened me today and I only see this as a setback for how far america has come in treating people equally. I guess according to californians not all people deserve the same rights :(

Regardless of whether you believe gay marriage is bad/good shouldn't matter. It isnt about that. It is about taking away someone's right to marry the person they love. It is about changing the constitution to discriminate against one group of people. That in itself is appalling. It doesn't matter to me what those people have "chosen" to be it matters to me that they are people and aren't allowed the right to marry. Civil Unions are NOT the same as a marriage in California, because they are NOT allowed the same rights as those who are legally married. In fact civil unions are only equal in spousal rights in 4 states (Connecticut, Vermont, New Jersey, & New Hampshire) So yes although they are allotted some rights under civil unions they are not allowed all of them. Besides that separating marriages into 2 different categories in my opinion is no different than segregation.

All I can think of is our past. At one point blacks were slaves, women were not allowed to vote, and interracial marriages were illegal. When will people get it? It isn't about race, religion, gender or sexual preference it is about what America was founded on and that being that ALL people have the RIGHT to be treated equally no matter what their beliefs.

Ok vent over

No comments: