Saturday, March 8, 2008

Why Editing is important

I took some headshots early this morning for Frank.

I have been doing the [b]school and I really liked [b]'s idea of showing before and after pictures. I am going to use this morning's session in hopes that this will help some of my friends, family, and clients understand why editing is so important. I take pride in the pictures I take and I want to make sure that I deliver the best possible images to you. When I take a picture Straight Out Of Camera (SOOC) it is a decent shot but that extra little bit of editing can really make that picture 'POP'.

Here is a SOOC picture not a bad picture and fine until you see the edited version
Frank SOOC


Here is that same picture edited
Frank edit


Here is a SOOC picture
Frank SOOC


Here is the same picture edited
Frank Edit


Now this is what happens when you take a SOOC picture and convert it to black and white using typical programs
Frank SOOC desaturate black and white


Now here is the edited version converted with a typical program. It is slightly better than the SOOC picture but it is still lacking something.
Frank Edit with desaturate black and white

And lastly here is the edited version converted using several different methods to make a nice contrasty black and white
Frank Edit black and white remix

I think that you will all agree that the fully edited pictures are much nicer than the SOOC images. They all tend to look brighter and more lively. I hope this example shows why it takes me so long to edit your pictures :)

No comments: